If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident and have been seriously injured, there’s a very good chance that you’ll be unable to return to work for an extended period of time. Unfortunately, medical bills and time spent in the hospital as well as other bills related to your healthcare can result in lost wages and debt. And, depending on your insurance, you may have to return to work before you’re 100% recovered.

You are entitled to file a personal injury claim to recover any and all damages that are a result of your accident. Damages are intended to compensate a person who has suffered a personal injury due to the negligence of another party. Examples of damages include:

  • Medical bills
  • Cost of future medical care
  • Hospital bills
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of consortium

Damages can also include:

  • Lost wages from missed days at work
  • Missed overtime opportunities
  • Lost bonuses or commissions
  • Lost earning capacity

The problem for many accident victims, is that it may take months or even years to receive compensation for all the expenses, including lost wages. So, what options do you have?

Your options

The good news is that there are some options that are available to you in order to avoid lost wages in the short-term. First, you may be able to use any sick leave and/or vacation time that you’ve accumulated. If you choose to go this route, you may be reimbursed for their lost value. 

In some companies, employees are permitted to donate their personal sick leave and/or vacation time to be “banked” for co-workers who find themselves in need of extra hours.

If you have short-term disability insurance, now is the time to use it. However, be aware that the majority of policies don’t kick in for at least two weeks. 

You can always be able to take advantage of the Family Medical Leave Act. The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take twelve work weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave within a 12-month period for medical reasons. You’ll continue to receive your group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions. The problem with the FMLA is that, while it protects your job until you’re able to return, you’re not earning a paycheck.

The bottom line is that you need to be able to get back to work ASAP so that you’re making money to pay your bills. However, if you’re medically unable to return to your job or if your ability to do your job has been limited due to your injury, you must have documentation from your doctor stating just that. The insurer of the other party involved in your accident will require it in order to pay damages plus your employer will require it for FMLA and short-term disability.

Discussing your case with an attorney

If you find that you can’t go back to work and are worried about recovering lost wages, you need to contact Inland Empire Motorcycle Law, attorneys for motorcycle accident victims in Riverside, CA. To arrange a free consultation with a personal injury attorney, contact our office today.